Monday, August 1, 2011

Atlanta artist Helen Crawford joins Jack Art Gallery

I paint moments of inner fiction.

sometimes like this:

A line in the sidewalk stretches to the end of the grass.
A tightrope wire strings me along. If I move my hips this way, I teeter.
If I move my hips that way, I totter. The ground pulses with color.
Sometimes I carry you with my body, out of balance and humming about:

grass
concrete sea
vessel
cradle figure
hush
color field
house
body ground

I begin with stories. A place becomes a protagonist and a scene. With thick brushstrokes, thin washes over time and pencil lines, I play with adjacencies of color, form and line to create paintings of familiar places and situations.

Helen is an artist, registered architect, visiting professor at Georgia Institute of Technology, and mother. She received her fine art and architecture degrees at Parsons School of Design in New York City, and Princeton University. She has provided commentary regarding fine art, architecture and urbanism for NPR, Metropolis Magazine, and The New York Times. In 1994, she was named “30 Artists: 30 and Under” by The New York Times Magazine.

Check out Helen's work on Jack Art Gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment